[Milpitas, CA] – Haolan Chen Dies, Kristalinna Pacheco In Custody after Accident on North Park Victoria Drive and Kennedy Drive
Haolan Chen Killed in Milpitas Bicycle Crash on North Park Victoria Drive
Wednesday, January 27, 2021 – Haolan Chen, age 7, was tragically killed on Monday afternoon. Moreover, Kristalinna Pacheco, age 36, was taken into custody after an accident which occurred on North Park Victoria Drive.
Allegedly, a 2015 White Lexus R35 was stolen on Oakland Road in San Jose last January 2. However, it was not until later that it was used in an armed robbery at Shoe Palace near Bascom Avenue and San Carlos Street on January 18.
Later on, Milpitas Police officers saw the stolen vehicle on E. Calaveras Boulevard near North Park Victoria Drive.
In a comment, Milpitas Police Lt. Tyler Jamison mentioned how the vehicle, “drove away at a high rate of speed. The officers did not attempt to stop the vehicle or pursue it either.”
Additionally, nearby there was a surveillance camera that recorded the deadly accident on North Park Victoria Drive and Kennedy Drive.
According to police reports, the Lexus failed to stop at the stop sign. Furthermore, the vehicle did not even slow down.
As a result, the vehicle hit young Mr. Haolan Chen as he was using the crosswalk on his bicycle. Right after the crash, the vehicle failed to stop and fled the scene.
Immediately, the young boy’s father along with his sister got off their bikes. Furthermore, they tried to rush to his rescue.
Additional Information About the Deadly Incident
Upon arrival, a Milpitas police officer attempted to administer first aid to the small boy.
In a statement, Lt. Jamison said that “Tragically, despite the efforts of first responders and medical staff, the 7-year-old child passed away at a local hospital. Our thoughts and prayers are with the young child’s family and our community. We are all deeply impacted by the senseless and tragic loss of life,”.
With a heavy heart, the father of the victim identified his young son as Haolan Chen, who was a student of Merryhill Elementary School.
Meanwhile, an officer noticed Kristalinna Pacheco, age 37, exit her vehicle and try to run away by foot on N. Park Victoria Dr. and Nicklaus Avenue.
Next, the male passenger in the Lexus switched into the driver seat of the vehicle and drove away, leaving Ms. Pacheco behind.
Subsequently, officers took Ms. Pacheco into custody. Also, they stopped chasing the male driver, added Lt. Jamison.
Currently, Kristalinna Pacheco is being charged with homicide, hit and run causing injury or death, and possession of a stolen vehicle. More so, the police booked Ms. Pacheco into the Santa Clara County Main Jail.
Likewise, the Milpitas Police are encouraging anybody with further information to please contact Milpitas Police at (408) 586-2400. For anonymous tipsters, they may turn to the Crime Tip Hotline at (408) 586-2500. They can also submit tips online at http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/crimetip.
What to Do After A Hit-and-Run
As with any accident, there are easy some steps you should take once the dust has settled. Moreover, it is important to stay calm. As the person left holding the buck, it is your responsibility to record as much information as you can. As a result, you will further be able to protect yourself.
Here is what to do if you are the victim of a hit-and-run:
- Remain calm - Any accident can leave you feeling very anxious. Also, my might also feel angry or afraid. Importantly, do your best to remain composed so you can think and act with a clear head. It may be difficult if you are injured but try to do your best to remember.
- Stay put – Make sure to stay where you are. Moreover, do not leave the scene of the accident or attempt to chase down the other driver. Sitting still can help you collect valuable evidence. This will help to avoid any incurring penalties for yourself. Additionally, move your car safely off the road if possible. Once you have a good grasp of your situation, start checking to see if you or any passengers need medical attention.
- Locate witnesses – Most accidents will typically get a lot of attention. However, after you make sure that you and your passengers are safe, see if there are any witnesses to confirm what happened. Make sure to get their names and contact information. Moreover, this will help you solidify your story when you talk to the police.
- Dial 911 – Make sure and call the police to the scene, particularly if someone needs medical attention. Notably, some states will legally require calling the police after an accident. Furthermore, the responding officials will help investigate the incident and file an accident report. A copy of the report may be necessary for insurance claims.
- Get pictures – While providing your story to insurance companies, pictures will help you provide evidence of the damage. More on that, take photos from different angles, including a full view of the vehicle and close-ups of any dings and scratches. Do not forget to take pictures of the paint left by the other car if there is any. Look for any evidence of the other vehicle involved.
- Call your insurance company – This is not just for hit and run accidents, this is for all accidents. What is more, the trained professionals at an insurance company can walk you through what to do, and how to file a claim.
As daunting as the encounter can be, how you react can play an important role in protecting yourself both financially and physically.
What Is A Hit-and-Run?
A hit and run accident are when the person responsible flees from the scene of the crash. Sadly, some people have been known to flee even though it was only a fender bender.
Also, a person could experience fines, criminal charges, license revocation, or even jail time. Although, this all depends on what state you live in.
Rest assured that being involved in a car accident is more than enough to ruin anyone’s day. However, the experience can be especially disorienting if you are involved in a hit-and-run.
Hit and run accidents can happen so quickly. Furthermore, you might just barely realize that your vehicle’s been hit before you get out to see that the other car is driving off into the distance.
To the family and friends of Haolan Chen, we at Salkow Law firm cannot begin to imagine what you are going through, and our sincerest condolences go out to you.
Salkow Law are true advocates that will work with you directly to achieve justice. Insurance companies want to pay as little compensation as they can. They will even try to make your case go away completely. We will fight for you so that does not happen.
Unlike, the law firms you see plastered on billboards and buses, at Salkow Law you will receive a level of personal service long forgotten at the ‘big’ firms. With us you will not be a faceless, nameless case file. We’ll answer any questions you have and make sure you have a full understanding of how the process works.
This is especially true for families that have lost a loved one in an accident. We won’t stop until we’ve gotten you fair compensation to alleviate the financial toll that unexpected devastation brings.